users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Two G/F instances on same box

From: vince kraemer <Vince.Kraemer_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 09:14:00 -0700

kedar wrote:
> I agree with Vince, partially.
> Also see: Issue Tracker issue # 90.
>
> But for this purpose, please don't do another installation.
> It is a huge overhead and is needless.
>
> Darn! We should document/publicize "asadmin create-domain" command more.
> That is a supported way of doing it. You can create as many
> instances/domains
> as you want (on the same box).
>
> GlassFish users/developers: Please get used to "asadmin create-domain
> --adminuser
> admin --adminport xyzz" command. No need to play around with setup.xml or
> setup-cluster.xml. It is error prone *and* does additional things
> (apart from creating
> the domain, which might negatively side-effect you).
fair warning: If you usee create-domain and want to have multiple
domains active at the same time, make sure that you start the domains
(including the default domain) BEFORE you issue the create-domain
command. create-domain can detect port conflict IF the ports are in use
and will select free ports.

NetBeans also allows you to create a domain, but it uses a different
approach.

You get GUI goodness for setting the ports to specific values for the
domain and the ports are not set to the default values. It is still
possible for the user to set up the ports so the domains cannot be
running at the same time.... But you have to work harder at it.

See: http://blogs.sun.com/vkraemer/entry/register_a_java_ee_5 screen
shots, etc.