users@glassfish.java.net

Problems installing b41

From: Jim Driscoll <Jim.Driscoll_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:21:18 -0800

I needed to install b41 (for a demo), so I decided to try out our
instructions.

I've installed b41 for windows, found here:

https://glassfish.dev.java.net/downloads/22Mar06.html

I ran java to install it to C:\Sun

Then, I added a couple environment variables:

GLASSFISH_HOME = C:\Sun\glassfish
PATH = %PATH%;%GLASSFISH_HOME%\lib\ant\bin;%GLASSFISH_HOME%\bin

(Note: please add instructions to add ant to the path before step 4 on
the download page)

Then, I run asadmin (why not just asadmin start, btw?)

asadmin start-domain domain1

Which is the instruction found here:

https://glassfish.dev.java.net/downloads/quickstart/index.html

What I get is:

Starting Domain domain1, please wait.
Log redirected to C:\Sun]glassfish\domains\domain1\log
C:\Sun]glassfish\domains is not a directory
CLI156 Could not start the domain domain1.

OK, I'm not dumb. Maybe if I just create the directory?

md domains

asadmin start-domain domain1
starting...
log redirected...
Domain domain1 does not exist in C:\Sun\glassfish\domains. Use a
different domain name or the --domaindir option.
CLI156 Could not start the domain domain1.

OK, I give up.

What am I doing wrong, and what documentation SHOULD I be reading to
tell me what to do?

Jim