users@glassfish.java.net

Security Manager default

From: Jerome Dochez <Jerome.Dochez_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:04:10 -0800

As you may have heard, there has been a fair amount of discussions about
the security manager role in GF.

We have been considering turning it off by default. This is motivated by
two factors :

1. performance : The server startup, deployment, administration is
affected by the security manager. Worse, we internally ran some numbers
on the runtime throughput and the security manager has also an impact.

2. third party libraries, ease of use : As I have documented in my blog
(http://blogs.sun.com/dochez), running third party libraries like Spring
is not as obvious as we would like. A significant number of applications
expect more privilege than the default ones and changing the rights for
an application is not portable, quite obscure and intimidating.

We have considered several options but it seems that turning off the
security manager is likely to satisfy most external users on GlassFish
as well as give a nice performance boost. As it is only the default
setting, users will have to ability to turn it back on with a per domain
configuration. I have asked Kedar to look into ways of make the switch
(on/off) as easy as possible.

Let me know if you see issues with this.

Thanks, Jerome