quality@glassfish.java.net

RE: Request for comments : FishCAT, the way forward

From: Vladimir Perlov <vladperl_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 03:40:50 +0000

Hi Kristian,I'm sitting now on the bed and looks like I have one or two hours to fight with you a good fight :)We will see yet who is more stubborn you or me :)
> question "What exactly do we want?"
> * Do we want a system providing a reward for people who willingly and> voluntarily offered time, experience and other resources to the> project? - or -> > * Do we want a system initially providing motivation for people who> wouldn't pay attention otherwise?
This is a good question, let me try to answer on it.It would be wrong to separate people from perspective of one project.For example you are fighting bugs inside of Glassfish and I'm fighting bugs inside of Netbeans.We both are using the projects. One day I will need desperately that Glassfish team very quickly fix some issue with the server.Because I didn't hunting for Glassfish before I don't have any influence on the team. So I'm stuck. And it's not fair because I did my share of volunteer job working with Netbeans team.You should understand that I don't have unlimited time on my hands to fight in all directions.The same problem will happen with you in case you need something from Netbeans team.Is it fair? No!Is it your pure enthusiastic approach could resolve this problem? I don't think so.Could be this problem resolved if developer currency is in place? No doubt here. I would pay a few dukes to Glassfish team to fix my issue and everybody would be happy in the end.Let me try another situation here. For example I'd like to start to use Webs sockets widely in my software platform.This is quite a new technology and Glassfish 3.1 has support for it. Can I go brave with this technology without some kind of support from Glassfish team? I'm not sure about it. Having a dukes on my side I would take the risk.The third example would be about people who help a lot on the forums. I know a couple people who were pretty active on the JSF forum and some day they just stopped doing it. Of course we understand why they stopped :) No dukes, for their honest and huge efforts.
Situation with author of Firebug is another example why we need specific kind of money for developers.You have mention before about some successful open source projects including Tomcat. I used before Tomcat in my work and I know it's not really a good example of successful project. It took years for the project to catch up with some new technologies and in current situation this kind of application server is good fit only to use in school project. So let me put some perspective here. I believe that in current state open source business model is pretty retarded considering the fact how many millions smart and dedicated developers are powerless and completely dependent from their salary. Everyone of us losing power and potential all time.Our power is works like electricity. Without devices to preserve and transfer it we are all losers ;)
Here is your question go again.> question "What exactly do we want?"
We need the system that will help us to generate, preserve and distribute our power.
Kristian, this kind of power will get mostly the people who deserve it most. You should be happy!The whole power system will be transparent by nature, so bad guys will have a hard time to sneak around :)
> strength of this motivation as it is the driving force behind most of> nowadays open source projects.
For me, nowadays open source projects looks like primitives tribes comparing to civilization.Even for barter activities tribes have nothing to use. It's just shame ;)Of course I see weakness of open source projects from economics and politics points of view.
> Depends, I am not sure about that. I see (and each and every week again> learn) that quite some people are into Eclipse, Apache, Codehaus, ...> for the sole purpose of not depending upon one very business entity all> too much. Given that, the success of Glassfish will largely depend upon> how "open" Oracle will allow it to be. For now we developers have to adapt to Oracle and to other big players on the market. Of course we have to do it. After all as I mention before developers are a powerless crowd.Do we have too much politics here? Yes we have, but I'm going to stop now.
Kristian, maybe we should stop trying to define our politics and start to draw some lines.I'm sorry if I was some kind of pushy here.Silence from Fishcat members make me feel that now my position is more stronger than yours.For example how you see that we can act as team if we have nothing to share. No common projects, no common infrastructure, no common points/dukes, no common goals.I don't see much point for people to join Fishcat.Why would they? There is no warranty of attention from Glassfish team and there is no possibility to share resources as community.Just individually fill out the issue without bothering to be connected to Fishcat team and you pretty much on the same level of influence as members of Fishcat.Of course stickers from Richard would be nice to have but if developer quite busy then he will give up on it.Remember how we could vote for issues related to Sun's projects? I never saw that my voting affect something.
Sincerely,Vladimir