quality@glassfish.java.net

RE: Request for comments : FishCAT, the way forward

From: Vladimir Perlov <vladperl_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 03:11:20 +0000

Hi Kristian,I went to your blog and should say that you are very productive writer.I like your manner of writing beside the fact that many of your posts is interesting to read. Now I know more about you and way you are thinking :) > and first off, again thanks for your well-written statements - food for> thought indeed, that's what I like about FishCAT, too. :]

I'm very thankful that you are paying so serious attention to this discussion. At least for me that is enough motivation to go further.
> providing meaningful and profound issue reports could raise someones> attention and help you in times of need? Surely, it's not reliable...
It's definitely not reliable :)Let me put here another in some way interesting example because there was involved FishCat member.I'm talking about Adam Bien who was active participant in the program.One day he posted this blog: http://www.adam-bien.com/roller/abien/entry/glassfish_will_be_killed_closedOne of the comment he got right away was:"Adam,Fishing for traffic? Sad."
I'm afraid that you also will need to "kill" something or somebody to get attention at time of fishing :) Anyway when you are designing some kind of software system I'm sure you are trying to make it scalable and unifiable as much as possible. So in process of designing motivation system please do not try to align its design to your personal chances to win the war of the attention.
> From that point of view, I'd say: (1) doesn't really need a rewarding> model too strict, as users do benefit here from getting qualified hints> and support in course of adopting the platform while providing back> input they gathered all along their everyday work. This is fine. In> case of (2) however, thinking about a more decent "rewarding" scheme> might be sane to compensate users for the fact that the "dedicated> testing", asides overally making the product better and providing> valuable feedback, has no obvious and immediate use to such a testing> user.
Finally after analyzing both of your letters I found the point from where we can quickly come to some conclusion and define common ground. I should stress that we are trying to design the new workable system and we need to get it right. On my work I almost every day design a new functionality and very closely work with the users who will use it.In many cases users are not very happy in the beginning of the process. The first problem here is the fact that users have a big problem to define precisely what is wrong or what they need. Beside this users don't know what is possible and how it can be implemented. So I pretty much trained in guessing and recognizing what have to be done to make them happy.Issue that you are highlighted with awarding schema pretty good is described in details and you even used some supportive terminology to make things more clearly. But I wasn't prepared to address your concern properly because I failed to see if the problem exists. Let me put your concern in more unified form. In my interpretation you are saying the following: "Why to introduce award schema for services that can be provided for free?" It's important question that we have to be prepared to answer on it.After all Glassfish team could rise this question during negotiation with them. Your main problems with this issue is if I understand you correctly that it could take too much resources from Glassfish team to pay absolutely for everything and also that too much efforts will be taken to control and handle it properly. In the same time you agree that in many cases additional motivation makes sense.
Arguments that support idea to award services that potentially could be free:
There is always a blurry line between "free" and "awarded" services.Free services often is treated as not worthy or without much value and this is not good at all.Providing additional playing field for people who provide "free" services.Possibility to estimate and take in account value of "free"/small services.Bigger operating scope for "duke" currency.
You know I'm not a big fan of volunteer based services for two reasons. The first reason is that this kind of services take away potential work places from people who really need a job and the second reason is that volunteer work is free.In too many cases people become volunteer because they just can't get the regular job. In my opinion the society is cheating in this regard pretty much. One more view related to "small" services. Practically every day I see people who are gathering empty bottles.For every bottle they get a few cents and this incentive is enough for them to do this kind of business.This is win-win situation for both sides who participate in transaction. Important to mention that side who is paying fee for the service is very affordable and effectively resolved recycling issue. Important to remember: One main condition here is that fee for small services must be affordable!Example with "bottles" business seems is a good illustration of meaning "additional playing field".
> like this). The Ubuntu Mailing List is one of the friendliest places> I've ever been, a place where a whole load of people are likely to> quickly help you out without second thought. It works... ;)
One of the explanation friendliest of the Ubuntu forum could be that many of them working as network administrators and have more time on their hands comparing to typical developer. For them it could be some kind of "customer support" oriented training. Of course it would be interesting to organize "motivation survey" there and get more precise data on this.
> Yes. Actually, in most cases it's "organizational" hazards like this> that keep me from financially supporting such projects...
Good, here we are on the same page.
> are willing to learn. If you want to have it easier, you eventually pay> for tools or technology (Glassfish Enterprise Manager, in example - I> hope I got that name right... :) ).
We could try to put in trade agreement with Oracle possibility to buy "Enterprise Manager" for dukes.Regarding your description how open source business model is working I agree completely with the picture you put here.In my previous letter I intentionally simplified related model to make point that this model is not ideal and need to be redesigned.It's very big topic that we could discuss a little bit later.
> I honestly have to say that Eclipse and OSGi is the dominating> technology in the JUG environment, and people seemed to stay away from> Sun technology apart from the JDK of course.
I honestly believe if Oracle will accept our trade policy Glassfish will quickly become dominated technology :)
> But apart from that, yes, talking about motivation: That's what I> meant. You just have a limited set of folks to be reached, a limited> set of developers that are willing to, asides their day job, also spend
The key word here is "limited" if virtual currency will start works we will forget meaning of "limited" word.
> enthusiasm and people doing things out of passion. I think that> reaching those people is incredibly more difficult, and maybe there are
Just take in account how incredibly easy we can reach people when we have currency on the hands :)
Best regards,Vladimir