quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: admin_gui not starting anymore when xercesImpl.jar present in domain1/lib/?

From: Kristian Rink <rink_at_planconnect.de>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:14:30 +0200

Richard Kolb schrieb:
> Basically I have banned anything in the domain lib except the database
> drivers for my sanity sake.
> Apache Tomcat has the concept of a shared/lib (that all the web apps
> use) and a common/lib that Tomcat and everything uses.
> This prevents this kind of thing.

Well, I actually was hoping for something like this related to
glassfish/lib/ and /glassfish/domains/domain1/lib/, not even talking about
the various subfolders in domain1/lib/ in v3 builds. But I am unsure what
(not) to put here and/or what goes where best. :)

> What I would suggest is create a EJB project with your core logic and
> dependencies and use that in your web front ends.
> All the more static logic goes into the EJB, and then the more dynamic
> logic goes into the war.

Yes, we're out to get it done like this, but the problem persists for
third-party libraries (Spring, in some cases, itext, slf4j, jcr/jackrabbit,
...) used in applications. Packaging these jars into ejb-jars is working
(with maven2 and a certain plugin) but far from nice, and packaging a ton of
jar files into a war is also not that fine - especially if, by then, you end
up with ten or twelve war files, 50 megs in size each, knowing that most of
the size making up these files is basically passive code (jar libraries)
which is common to all these applications... ;)

Cheers,
Kristian

--
Dipl.-Ing.(BA) Kristian Rink * Software- und Systemingenieur
planConnect GmbH * Könneritzstr. 33 * 01067 Dresden