quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: b26: updatetool broken?

From: Nouar Garcia-Mardambek <Nouar.Garcia_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 18:01:10 +0200

On 10/01/08 04:55 PM, Judy Tang wrote:

Hi all,

I was able to reproduce the first issue described by Kristian, here the
steps I've did with my locale set to en_US.UTF-8

All the steps are executed using root user (sudo su - )

1) download jdk 1.6 u10 rc2-bin-32-linux-i586-12_sep_2008.bin, extract
under /usr/jdk
2) set PATH to be as PATH=/usr/jdk/jdk1.6.0_10:$PATH
3) set JAVA_HOME to be as /usr/jdk/jdk1.6.0_10
4) execute glassfish-v3-prelude-b26-unix.sh as root and choose in first
wizard to create a new directory /usr/local/opt/appsrv-installer instead
of /root/appsrv
keep all the defaults for updatetool (except set a proxy and port)
updatetool bootstrapping ok, can launch bin/updatetool & install all
addons found in the GFv3 repository: ok
5) try to uninstall, no available uninstaller.
# pwd
/usr/local/opt/appsrv-installer

# rm -r *
# ls -al
drwxrwxr-x 8 root root 4096 2008-09-27 11:59 .org.opensolaris,pkg

Don't remove this directory.

6) Run again the installer over the same directory as described in 4)
installer say every thing is ok, but seems to be very quick, click on
Exit button.

7) execute : bin/updatetool
==>>> bootstrapping script
<<<
The software needed for this command (updatetool) is not installed.

If you choose to install Update Tool, your system will be automatically
configured to periodically check for software updates. If you would like
to configure the tool to not check for updates, you can override the
default behavior via the tool's Preferences facility.

When this tool interacts with package repositories, some system information
such as your system's IP address and operating system type and version
is sent to the repository server. For more information please see:

http://wiki.updatecenter.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=UsageMetricsUC2

Once installation is complete you may re-run this command.
Software repository: http://pkg.glassfish.org/dev/linux/v3prelude/
Install image: /usr/local/opt/appsrv-installer/bin/..
Installing pkg packages.
Installing updatetool packages.
Registering notifier: Error: registration tool is missing.
Initialization complete.

Software successfully installed. You may now re-run this command
(updatetool).

nouar.