quality@glassfish.java.net

Visit to Sun to talk about FindBugs, static analysis, and other fun stuff?

From: Bill Pugh <pugh_at_cs.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 10:46:02 -0700

I'm in the Bay area from now until August 18th.

I'm working with and visiting a number of companies, and I'd be happy
to hang out at Sun for a chunk of time.

Want I'd really like to do over this summer to to work with the Java
SE and Glassfish teams to make sure that we can get setup effective
deployments of FindBugs set up internally. Rather than worrying about
scrubbing the code base of all of the issues in old, old code, the
main thing I think we should strive for is ensuring that any newly
introduced issues get examined. We've got a number of tools for doing
that, and will be adding more over the summer.

One of the things that might be useful it to just spend an afternoon
sitting down with a group of engineerings and auditing some FindBugs
results. It might help you understand the issues FindBugs is
reporting, and help me understand your priorities as far as which
issues you think warrant fixing with code changes.

If there is demand for a talk on FindBugs, I'd be happy to give one.
I've given that talk a number of times at Sun and JavaOne, but with
churn and stuff there are always new people around who haven't seen it.

We are intently working on getting a strawman for JSR-305
implemented, and I'd be interesting in talking about that later in
the summer.

Bill