dev@glassfish.java.net

RE: -Xdebug -Xrunjdwp vs. agentlib:jdwp for GF application debugging

From: Koper, Dies <diesk_at_fast.au.fujitsu.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 10:18:11 +1000

Thanks Byron, done.

http://java.net/jira/browse/GLASSFISH-17146

It was auto-assigned to Tom.

Regards,

Dies

From: Byron Nevins [mailto:byron.nevins_at_oracle.com]
Sent: Thursday, 4 August 2011 03:16
To: dev_at_glassfish.java.net
Subject: Re: -Xdebug -Xrunjdwp vs. agentlib:jdwp for GF application
debugging

Sounds like a great idea. Please file an issue?

On 8/2/2011 8:48 PM, Koper, Dies wrote:

GF 3.1.1's domain.xml has debug-options="-Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:..." while
the JDK
documentation page says that "the newer -agentlib:jdwp option is
preferable".

http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/jpda/conninv.h
tml#Invocation

Should we replace the debug options with -agentlib:jdwp in domain.xml
from GF 3.2 up?

I don't know the visible benefits and impact of using -agentlib instead,
especially when using other JDKs (OpenJDK, AIX?).
Is this something that has been looked at?

If not, I'd say GF should "lead by example" or "eat our own dog food"
and follow the Java documentation's advice? :)

Regards,
Dies