dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: target as option or operand?

From: Jane Young <jane.young_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 18:15:14 -0700

Hong Zhang wrote:
> Hi, Cheng
>> I noticed some commands take target operand, and others take target
>> options. What's the rules for providing target value?
>>
>> For ex:
>>
>> asadmin list-components --target cluster1 (Failed as option)
>> Invalid option: --target
>>
>> asadmin list-components cluster1 (Passed as operand)
>> Command list-components executed successfully on server instance
>> instance1
>> Command list-components executed successfully on server instance
>> instance2
> Yes, I have implemented the list-components command to be v2 backward
> compatible (though like Bill I am not sure why it was operand instead
> of an option).
Here's an usability question:

Is it easier to type: "list-components cluster1" or "list-components
--target cluster1"?

For list-components command, it's possible to have --target as the
option and --type as the operand. But back in pre-v2 time, the deploy
command had --type as an option so to be compatible, --type became an
option and target was made as an operand. Not sure if I diverge from
the original question. But want to point out the history behind why
target became an operand in list-components.