dev@glassfish.java.net

Rules about Bundle-SymbolicName in GlassFish modules and embeddable EJB container

From: Marina Vatkina <marina.vatkina_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 15:11:23 -0700

Team,

EJB embeddable container tries to be very smart and skip GlassFish own jars from
the classpath when building a deployable archive out of the system classpath
because other than identifying an EJB module, there is no way to know if an
entry in the classpath is a user defined library or an infrastructure jar.

In the supported configuration, there should be only 1 such jar - either
glassfish-embedded-all.jar or glassfish-embedded-static-shell.jar. Both of those
jars have Bundle-SymbolicName that starts with 'org.glassfish.'. The other 2
names that I know to skip start with either 'com.sun.enterprise.' or "org.eclipse.'.

But users make mistakes. Our own tests had one, where all GlassFish modules were
added to the classpath (this is fixed now). Looking at the output from such run,
around 50 jars (about 20%) have something else (I checked 2 of them, not all 50+).

Do we want to have a naming convention for the modules? Or are there any rules
that I can use instead?

thanks,
-marina