dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: [arch] add a new asadmin redeploy option or reuse existing one for the new EJB feature?

From: Tim Quinn <tim.quinn_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 16:32:40 -0500

(adding back the dropped arch recipient)

On Jun 9, 2010, at 4:10 PM, Ludovic Champenois wrote:

> On 6/9/10 1:57 PM, Mahesh Kannan wrote:
>> The problem with keepState=web,ejb is:
>> 1. Why would a user want to retain just web state and not ejb state
>> (or vice versa) in his application?
> This is the real point!!! Where is the use case?
> Why a developer using an IDE would want to switch all these toggles
> when debugging a shopping cart application?
>
> If there is no use case, then have 1 single param, whatever name,
> and keep the old property for backward compatibility...

The earlier creation of a specific property called keepSessions for
http sessions on web apps implied (to me) that someone thought it made
sense to specifically identify the container type of interest for
turning this on or off. Oherwise why not just have the property
keepState or introduce a keepState option?

Perhaps I assumed wrong.

Anyway, I certainly don't have a specific use case in mind for
retaining some but not all types of state. I do worry some about the
point Vince raised - as soon as we prevent it, someone will want it.
His suggestion for allowing

--keepState (which means "all")

and

--keepState=web,ejb,...

covers all bases. As I and several others have pointed out we'd
continue to support --property=keepSessions=true for backward
compatibility.

It's a separate question, as Ludo raises, whether a developer using an
IDE wants to see a toggle for each container type. If the IDE use
case is to retain all or nothing then there is just the single
toggle: keep or not. Right?

- Tim