dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: [arch] add a new asadmin redeploy option or reuse existing one for the new EJB feature?

From: Tim Quinn <tim.quinn_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 15:12:32 -0500

On Jun 9, 2010, at 3:00 PM, Marina Vatkina wrote:

> Tim,
>
> I like this idea. But I'm not sure I understand the end result -
> would we support both, --keepState=web,ejb *and* --
> property=keepXXX=true (for all XXX)?
I was thinking we would continue to support --
property=keepSession=true as a legay special-case for web apps. All
future state-saving would use

--keepState=xxx,yyy

and, of course, we'd also support

--keepState=web

- Tim

> thanks,
> -marina
>
> Tim Quinn wrote:
>> A couple things.
>>
>> 1. Note that the current keepSessions feature is specified as a
>> property on the redeploy command, such as
>>
>> asadmin redeploy ... --property=keepSessions=true
>>
>> not as its own option.
>> 2. Now that multiple containers will support this type of behavior,
>> it might be more intuitive for users to have a new option (not a
>> property, an option)
>>
>> --keepState
>>
>> which can accept one or more values identifying the container types
>> to enlist in the state-keeping behavior. For example:
>> asadmin redeploy ... --keepState=web,ejb
>>
>> would cause both containers to maintain whatever "state" means to
>> them. Thus
>>
>> ... --property=keepSessions=true
>>
>> and
>>
>> ... --keepState=web
>>
>> would be equivalent.
>>
>> - Tim
>>
>> On Jun 9, 2010, at 1:15 PM, Marina Vatkina wrote:
>>
>>> Bill, Arch team,
>>>
>>> EJB enhancement for GlassFish 3.1 proposes support for retaining
>>> SFSB / EJB Timer state across redeployment (see section 4.1.5 in http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=GlassFishv3.1EJBOnePager)
>>> <http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=GlassFishv3.1EJBOnePager%29
>>>
>>> The original proposal was to add a new CLI option to 'asadmin
>>> redeploy' for this purpose called 'keepEjbState' in addtion to the
>>> existing 'keepSession' option.
>>>
>>> While having two separate options clearly identifies the intent of
>>> the operation, it can be confusing to the user who has both, a web
>>> component and an ejb component in their application (in particular
>>> with Java EE 6 allowing to combine both in a single WAR). On the
>>> other hand, eusing 'keepSession' option for both purposes can be
>>> confusing for applications that do not have a web component.
>>>
>>> One more question: would it make sense to rename 'keepEjbState' to
>>> 'keepState' for future (non-EJB) extensions? If yes, would it be
>>> even more confusing to have both options around?
>>>
>>> Here are the choices that we are looking at:
>>> 1. Add 'keepEjbState' in addtion to 'keepSession'
>>> 2a. Add 'keepState' in addtion to 'keepSession'
>>> 2b. Deprecate 'keepSession', and use 'keepState' instead