dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: DTD name changes and the DOCTYPE

From: Hong Zhang <hong.hz.zhang_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 15:18:43 -0400

Hi, Vince
> I think we ought to go back to my original questions for guidance...
>
> Are these 'new dtds' going to become acceptable to GlassFish
> Application Server 3.0? When and how?
No, they won't.
> If they are not going to be accepted by 3.0, should their doctype
> imply that they are acceptable to GlassFish Server 3.0?
Does the "Glasfish Server 3.0" have to mean acceptable by Glassfish
Server 3.0, can it be interpreted as these dtds were converted from
Glassfish 3.0 dtds? :-)
> Regarding the glassfish-ejb-jar_3_1-0.dtd:
> Why would I want to write an xml file that conforms to
> glassfish-ejb-jar_3_1-0.dtd instead of writing the file to conform to
> glassfish-ejb-jar_3_1-1.dtd?
>
> Why would I want to write an xml file that conforms to
> glassfish-ejb-jar_3_1-0.dtd instead of writing the file to conform to
> sun-ejb-jar_3_1-0.dtd?
I see your point here.
> Regarding the 'versioning' of the glassfish dtd files:
> I think we might want to also be guided by the following fact, as we
> think about the 'version' of the glassfish-* descriptors:
> There is no existing version of these descriptors...
>
> They will not exist until the folks start to create apps that target
> 3.1 specifically.
>
> We could just as easily do this conversion
>
> sun-web-app_3_0-0.dtd --> glassfish-web-app_1_0-0.dtd
But in the past, the version of the sun-* always match with the version
of standard deployment descriptors, will it be too confusing if we just
start from beginning now?
> (or even glassfish-web-app_3_1-0.dtd)
I don't think it should be glassfish-web-app_3_1-0.dtd, I think the
first two numbers mean spec version, unless there is a revision of
Servlet Spec 3.0 for this release, we should keep the "3_0" part, and
possibly change the last "0" to "1" if we want to increment version
here: glassfish-web-app_3_0-1.dtd.

Thanks,

- Hong