dev@glassfish.java.net

logging messages in GlassFish

From: Carla Mott <carla.mott_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 17:44:47 -0700

Hi all,

We are getting started with the 3.1 code and I wanted to send out a note
about logging messages in GlassFish. This should be review and I wanted
to make sure we all use the GlassFish logging mechanism as it was intended.

Thanks,
Carla

Review of the requirements:

As of the 3.0 release ALL messages of level SEVERE, WARNING and INFO
must have a message id. That is all messages in the
LogStrings.properties file must have a message id. Please see the
following wiki page for information on message ids.
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=GlassFishV3LoggingMessageFormat

Log messages level SEVERE, WARNING and INFO should be in
LogStrings.properties file

All SEVERE and WARNING messages must have dignostic info too

Below is an example I got from the EJB module. It shows the code and
the entries in the the LogStrings.properties file.

Example code:
 _logger.log(Level.SEVERE, "jacc_policy_context_exception", cause);

Example LogString.properties file entry:

jacc_policy_context_exception=EJB5183:JACC: Unexpected exception
manipulating policy context

EJB5183.diag.cause.1=An Exception was thrown while resetting the
policycontext

EJB5183.diag.check.1=Check the EJB policy to see if the policy contexts
of the application are correct