dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Network config questions

From: Kim Haase <Camilla.Haase_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:03:34 -0400

On 07/28/09 16:40, Anissa Lam wrote:

> Thanks Kim for starting this thread. I also have a question, please
> see comment.
>
> Kim Haase wrote:
>>> That is correct. Though it'd save you a step to create the
>>> network-listener first, I'd think.
>>
>> Thanks, that may be worth mentioning. I notice the Admin Guide doesn't
>> cover this area just yet -- probably this kind of information is worth
>> including there, too.
>>
>> So with the Admin Console anyway, you'd want to create a protocol,
>> create a network listener, then create a virtual server that uses the
>> network listener.
> Actually I am thinking to change the way Admin Console works so that it
> behaves like the CLI with respect to creating a network listener. My
> question: what is the common use case ? How often does 2 or more
> network listener share/refer to the same protocol ? If the common
> case is 1-1 relationship, then GUI shouldn't require user to create a
> protocol first and then go create the network listener. GUI should
> just create the protocol for this network listener at the same time,
> just like the CLI does. I think Justin mentioned about this before.
> Justin, can you confirm ?

Justin answered part of this (it's 1-1 usually). The CLI for
create-network-listener does NOT automatically create a protocol (though
if the old create-http-listener command does if you use it). So
following what the CLI does would mean having to create first the
protocol and then the network listener. Currently the CLI is kind of
broken, in that if you specify a nonexistent protocol it doesn't give an
error. Then the nonexistent protocol shows up in the Admin Console, and
if you try to edit it, that's when you get an error (which makes sense,
more or less).

The CLI should either give an error if the protocol doesn't exist, or it
should create the protocol with some default settings, if that's
possible. Then the Admin Console could behave accordingly.

Kim