dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Network config questions

From: Justin Lee <Justin.Lee_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 16:30:41 -0400

Kim Haase wrote:
> Thanks very much, Justin, for clarifying all this.
>
> I was wondering about thread pools, actually. I see there are by
> default 2 created: http-thread-pool with a limit on the number of
> threads in the queue and a small max pool size, and thread-pool-1 with
> no limit on the queue threads and a large max pool size. The 3 default
> network listeners all use http-thread-pool. Under what circumstances
> might a user specify the other one?
One I can think of off hand is if you had an app that you knew would
keep connections open for long time for something like feeding very
large files/streams back to the client. In this case you might want a
separate thread pool to handle that kind of load. But I'd profile first
to make sure. The grizzly subsystem uses NIO to handle that processing
so is fairly efficient at handling a large number of connections.

>>> Also, is it correct that a virtual server is normally associated
>>> with one or more network listeners, but that you can create a
>>> virtual server that isn't associated with any network listener, then
>>> create the network listener, then edit the virtual server to specify
>>> that network listener?
>> That is correct. Though it'd save you a step to create the
>> network-listener first, I'd think.
>
> Thanks, that may be worth mentioning. I notice the Admin Guide doesn't
> cover this area just yet -- probably this kind of information is worth
> including there, too.
>
> So with the Admin Console anyway, you'd want to create a protocol,
> create a network listener, then create a virtual server that uses the
> network listener.
Correct.