dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: svn commit: r29623 - trunk/v3/extras/embedded: . all nucleus shell web

From: Jerome Dochez <Jerome.Dochez_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 22:18:55 -0700

On Jul 27, 2009, at 2:25 PM, Kenneth Saks wrote:

> On Jul 27, 2009, at 5:17 PM, Siraj Ghaffar wrote:
>

>>> Just the glassfish distribution or also the web profile
>>> distribution?
>> both

>>> So if I have either distribution and I want to run an application
>>> in glassfish embedded mode, what does the java command look like?
>>> Is it something like this :
>>>
>>> java -classpath $V3_HOME/lib/embedded-shell.jar -jar
>>> myejbmodule.jar ?
>> yes. probably more like java -classpath $V3_HOME/lib/embedded/
>> embedded-shell.jar -jar myejbmodule.jar

> What's in it now? Is it basically all the system code needed to run
> any EE 6 application for the given distribution , plus the extra
> embedded-specific classes?
it depends on your use case...

do you want to use GF in inplanted mode, meaning you are embedding
inside your VM but you have a full fledge glassfish installation
directory you can point to. In that case you use the embedded-
shell.jar and you should have the entire appserver jars available.
In that case myejbmodule.jar is supposed to have a main class that
will point to the glassfish installation when invoking the embedded
API (see the tests/embedded/inplanted tests).

if you want to use GF in normal embedded mode, meaning you have no
glassfish installation and you just expect one huge jar file, you need
to use one of the uber jar that Siraj produces and of course you are
limited to that uber jar content (plus whatever jar you put on the
classpath). This is the mode that ant and maven will most likely use.

so which one do you need/want ?

jerome