dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Does the Servlet spec require this behavior?

From: Wolfram Rittmeyer <w.rittmeyer_at_jsptutorial.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 22:59:10 +0200

vince kraemer wrote:
> I hope you are not saying that it is okay to not provide useful error
> reporting in the server.log because the developer will be able to figure
> it out, if they turn on access logging and read that log instead...

No, generally I am all for extensive logging (and using different log
levels according to the value of the logging information at hand). But I
consider this to be of not much use in this case. When I call
"http://localhost:8080/whatever/" and get a 404 response the reason for
this is normally pretty obvious. Stating that the directory (or webapp)
"whatever" has no default file (like those defined in either
default-web.xml or in my own web.xml) doesn't add much information IMHO.

--
Wolfram Rittmeyer