dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Related to <thread-pools> in domain.xml

From: Kedar Mhaswade <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 23:08:01 -0700

Thanks everyone for answers. Questions below:

Ken Cavanaugh wrote:
> Kenneth Saks wrote:

>>> This is a little weird in that we refer to something in domain.xml from
>>> within sun-ejb-jar.xml, by name.
>>
>> That's a good part of what our sun-*.xmls do. How is this any
>> different from mapping a
>> logical application resource like a resource-ref to the physical name
>> of a jdbc-resource?

>>> That would only tell me how runtime accesses the data in domain.xml.
>>> My question was regarding creating/deleting/listing the thread pools
>>> created.
>>>
>>> Also, since the server is now being more modular, we need to have
>>> someone
>>> who owns the configuration of these thread-pools.
>>>
> This all falls under the general category of resource management, and
> Sahoo and others
> have long been planning to clean up some of this. Grizzly, Corba,
> Connectors, and probably
> other parts of the app server use threads, and ultimately all of the
> thread usage should be
> managed, either by shared thread pools, or by assigning thread pools to
> the different consumers
> of threads in GFv3. Sahoo in particular is interested in request
> prioritization, which in large
> part is an issue for thread pool management.
>
> Grizzly (Jean-Francois in particular) has done a lot of work on thread
> pools, looking at a very simple
> threadpool in Grizzly, the ORB threadpool, and the full ExecutorService
> found in recent JDKs.
> We want to unify all of the different threadpools under a single
> interface (probably ExecutorService),
> with possibly different implementations, and certainly with the
> capability to flexibly assign threadpool instances
> to different services in GFv3.
>
> Unfortunately this work does not seem to have an owner, as far as I
> know. If there is an owner,
> the threadpool work probably is just not high priority enough right now.

Hmmm. So does it mean that implementing create-threadpool and delete-threadpool
is not a high priority asadmin command? Can we skip implementing it for v3?

Also, can a thread-pool be shared as of now? (I think not).

Ken C -- what's the plan for ORB -- is it going to use "thread-pool-1" as it
used to be (I guess) in v2?

-Kedar