dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Stop repackaging Grizzly to support OSGi

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:45:05 -0500

Jerome Dochez wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2009, at 2:20 AM, Oleksiy Stashok wrote:

>>> Are you using different techniques that regular GlassFish jobs? How
>>> come GlassFish hudson jobs don't see such java.net issues?
>> I think because Glassfish doesn't deploy artifacts to java.net, but
>> internal maven repository. I observe problem with maven deployment on
>> Grizzly hudson jobs too.
> nothing prevents you from doing the same thing, our maven repo is
> synchronized with the external world, it's not like we are hiding our
> binaries.
>> It looks like this:

>>> More over, to know whether your binary has reached the repo or not,
>>> go to the repo directly and see if it is there or not.
>> I understand that, but Grizzly has 20+ modules and having in mind how
>> fast java.net is and that artifacts appear there with lag - I can
>> spend just hour to understand what was deployed and what wasn't.
> but don't you see it from the build-error like the one you have above ?
> I mean somehow the failure to upload is not silent so why don't you
> catch it while doing the mvn deploy ?

This is what we are doing. But at the end we ends up with released
version deployed almost 6 times depending on where it fail. So now I
need to write a script to make sure this stupid upload doesn't fail, and
if it fail, have to cut another release, advertise it, then try again.
This is just a non sense to waste time like that :-)

>>> That's the problem. What justifies making "last fixes?" It appears to
>>> me that your release process needs to be looked at.
>> Agree. This was our mistake.
> yes, once you have turned to crank on a version, if anything happens,
> fixes, wrong upload, you name it, you *must* bump up the version
> otherwise you inflict a lot of pain to everyone.

Yes, we learned the lesson. java.net is just crappy when trying to
upload :-)

A+

--Jeanfrancois