dev@glassfish.java.net

v3-prelude-release branch build instructions after my check-in

From: Sahoo <Sahoo_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 02:33:10 +0530

After my recent check in [1], when you update your workspace and do a
build, you are likely to see maven complaining about missing artifact
called
/org.glassfish.build:maven-glassfish-extension:jar:3.0-Prelude-SNAPSHOT./
To avoid this, run the following command:
'mvn -Prelease-phase1 install' in your workspace.

More about the problem and solution:
The reason for this error is obvious: build depends on an artifact which
is not available in remote repo. But, you may have noticed that v3 build
itself produces that artifact (see
build/maven-glassfish-extension/pom.xml). Why then maven complains
instead of building the artifact locally and using the same like every
other build dependency? Even though that artifact is produced by v3
build, maven can't get there as it is a build extension that maven needs
to resolve at a very early stage of release. So, we have introduced a
separate profile called /release-phase1/ which only builds this
artifact. To invoke maven in this profile, pass -Prelease-phase1 in
command line.

We are asking RE to publish 3.0-Prelude-SNAPSHOT artifacts to remote
repo so that everyone does not run into this problem.

Thanks,
Sahoo

[1] http://fisheye4.atlassian.com/changelog/glassfish-svn/branches?cs=23437

attached mail follows:

To avoid confusion, we have decided to use version numbers in pom.xmls
same as what release we are preparing. So, we will set the version as
3.0-Prelude-SNAPSHOT in prelude branch and 3.0-SNAPSHOT in trunk. When
the final release is performed, SNAPSHOT will be dropped. I am in the
process of making the change, so I request you not to make major changes
to pom.xmls at this point of time.

Thanks,
Sahoo