dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: what changes will require server restart ?

From: Lloyd Chambers <Lloyd.Chambers_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:05:29 -0700

Kedar,

Thanks. I've read through the source file quite thoroughly.

-- First, a common pool of options seems problematic for multiple
modules. Perhaps we need to rethink this in the context of the module-
based system. That is not the issue here, just mentioning it.

-- I agree that calling System.setProperty() is required, good choice
there. But I have doubts whether this should be considered a "non
restart" event; I would expect most code to check system properties
only once, and AFAIK polling is required to note changes to system
properties.

-- What should -Dfoo=bar do?

ISSUE

When I change anything in <java-config>, I am not seeing any restart
required. While the log message says "an attribute was changed,
restart required", the behavior is different. I can debug this to see
what is going on.

Lloyd