dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Resource Autodeploy Question (issue 4490)

From: Jason Lee <jason_at_steeplesoft.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:49:37 -0500

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 9:18 PM, Tim Quinn <Timothy.Quinn_at_sun.com> wrote:

> In v3 each container is responsible for doing most of the work of
> deploying an app of that type. Yet the basic GF deployment framework needs
> to be able to tell which container to ask to deploy a given app, and it
> needs to do so without loading the candidate containers' modules and
> starting the candidate containers. This is where sniffers come in. All
> sniffers, regardless of the module type they might recognize, are checked
> during deployment. When a deployment request arrives, GF asks each sniffer
> it knows about whether it recognizes the type of the module being deployed.
> If so, the GF deployment framework delegates the work to the deployer
> corresponding to that module type. (Note that a given app might be
> recognized by more than one sniffer; for example, a given app might be
> recognized by both the EJB sniffer and the persistence sniffer.)

OK, so if I understand this correctly, I'll need a Sniffer that recognizes
the resource deployment file (which is just an XML document, according to
the latest plan in my head :). It will tell the deployment framework which
deployer to which to delegate, which I will also provide. Is that correct?

I think the deployment directory scanner is going to need to be fixed up so
that it will recognize the .xml files, and not just the archives. It would
be nice if there were an API to added acceptable file types to that. I
don't think that would be too hard to, but I don't want to go running off
half cocked, though I guess that's where code reviews come in. Since I
don't have commit privs, someone "official" will have to be involved at some
point...

--
Jason Lee, SCJP
Software Architect -- Objectstream, Inc.