dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: [GFv3] [Please Read] Felix mode for v3 on trunk is back again

From: Kohsuke Kawaguchi <Kohsuke.Kawaguchi_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 12:35:56 -0700

I think the root cause of the problem is the inconsistent behavior
between compiler and OSGi runtime. Those problems should have caused a
compile time error, instead of runtime NoClassDefError.

The coverage of QL will be limited by its nature, and more to the point,
no matter how many tests we run, we will never get to 100% code
coverage. That means we can end up leaving NoClassDefErrors in some
rarely used parts of our code (like error handling), waiting to explode
at the production site.

This is not to say that we should watch QL tests in OSGi mode closely,
but don't we clearly need some kind of static code analyzer that
identifies the references to classes that a module cannot see?

I mean, this is the whole point of static typing. If we can't even
detect a fatal problem until we run the code, we might just as well
program in a typeless language.