dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: supporting standalone tests in V3

From: Kohsuke Kawaguchi <Kohsuke.Kawaguchi_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 14:12:48 -0700

I think tests like that better live in its own directory with some kind
of build script --- essentially the same set up as quick look test.

Since this is an end-to-end test, I think it's actually more valuable
that you can take any v3 bundle built somewhere and run the tests.

For example, when we modify HK2, Hudson can build a custom GFv3 + this
bleedging edge HK2, and then it can run your tests, before the rest of
GFv3 even sees this new build of HK2. In this way, by the time HK2 gets
integrated, chances of that breaking AMX will be much much less.

Also, if the test itself is pushed to the Maven repository, then we
might be able to hook up execution of tests in several other places,
such as during the normal build of AMX.

I think there's a value in having a good harness that runs end-to-end
test, building on top of JUnit. Its usefulness goes far beyond just AMX.