dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: deployed war not showing up after server restart

From: Kedar Mhaswade <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:58:41 -0800

Jerome Dochez wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2008, at 9:23 AM, Vince Kraemer wrote:
>
>> It sounds like a bug to me. It seems like list-applications should
>> pause until the server is ready to provide a correct answer [one that
>> is not going to change without the user taking some explicit action...
>> like issuing an 'asadmin deploy' command....
>>
>> That would probably apply to ALL the command... not just
>> list-applications.
>>
> right, I don't think we should make anything special for list-applications
>
> in this particular case, I think this is a bug in the implementation of
> list-applications, it should now use the config-api to get the list of
> applications rather than the internal runtime structures we use at run
> time. This was the only solution at the time the command was written but
> since Hong added the domain.xml writing last week, I think it's time to
> switch it to use the config-api which will give the correct information
> all the time. Jane, can you take care of that ?
>
> Now, this debate still has some values.... It is somehow difficult for a
> script to know when the server has finished starting. . We could block
> all asadmin requests until all deployed applications have finished
> need to issue a command to figure out the server is fully loaded (and
> which one, asadmin version ????).
>

>> Otherwise, folks that need to do things like automate things using
>> asadmin will have to litter their scripts with sleep calls... and even
>> then, the scripts may fail when moved from machine to machine because
>> of things like processor horsepower...
>>
> no, worse case we would have to add an explicit command to wait for
> server starting sequence completion.
>
> It seems that it could be useful to have a blocking command like :
> asadmin wait-startup-completed
> that would block until the server is fully started and all deployed and
> enabled applications are now capable of answering requests. I don't
> think we have that today...
>
> what do people feel ?

I think having an asadmin command to block till
server has started is awkward, at best. This is because
when server displays it's started it means it's ready
to go.

Can something be done so that when the *first request* for
any app (or its component) that's deployed is sent,
the app initialization completes and the response is blocked
till that happens?

That way, server can return as soon as possible and
first request to any app loads the app fully.

Something similar was done in V2, IIRC.