dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Instructions for pushing binaries to maven repository

From: Dinesh Patil <Dinesh.Patil_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:17:28 -0800

Shreedhar Ganapathy wrote:

> In addition control wrt sources corresponding to these binaries will
> be better with a release engineering process involved.
>
> Sahoo wrote:
>
>> Dinesh,
>>
>> Thanks for documenting this, but I hope we are *not* allowing every
>> developer to build binaries in their environment and push it into
>> global maven repo, are we? I understand Java removes a lot of release
>> engineering issues that are typically associated C/C++ world, but
>> that does not mean we allow developers to create binaries and push it
>> into maven repo. Binaries that are used to build production systems
>> like GlassFish *must* be built in controlled environment using
>> processes that are reproducible. Why can't binaries be pushed by
>> release engineering team? Then they can take care of issues like
>> tagging the workspace, using the right compiler version, right flags
>> (e.g. debug/optimize) to compile, etc.

I didn't see this email in my inbox yet, may be some mail-client issue.

We have a RE process, and tagging/releases will happen from the
controlled env. Terena is working on setting up the lab env for V3.

This is just a option for developers who are asking for automated
process/rules to independently publish their artifacts by the owners!
thanks
Dinesh