dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: V3: Has the asadmin deploy command changed w.r.t specifying the context root

From: Tim Quinn <Timothy.Quinn_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:43:28 -0600

Interesting topic.

Here's another possibility - perhaps an addition to Kedar's suggestion
rather than a replacement.

How about using a completion technique the way that some/many command
line shells do for file specs?

For example:

$asadmin <enter>
$asadmin> deploy <tab>

would display the first option to "deploy" that the user had not yet
used on the command line, perhaps presented in order of
most-frequently-used. So successive <tab> presses at that point might
display --path, then --contextroot, then --name, and so on. Depending
on how clever we want to get, as the user is entering the path value the
<tab> key could do file path matching the way it does in shells!

Taken a step further, if there is a fixed list of values for a given
option (for instance, --virtualserver) asadmin could have retrieved
those values from the DAS and it could display them as the choices for
the option's values.

Personally, I prefer a U/I that guides me to correct input rather than
noting my errors - however politely it may do so - and offering me its
guesses as to what I might have intended. Especially in command-line
U/Is that is not always possible and so the "did you mean?" approach
gives valuable hints when there is no effective way of constraining or
guiding the user in the first place.

- Tim