dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Authentification to an smtp sever

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_sun.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 15:11:54 -0800

NewJavaLearner wrote:
> Hi all,
> i want to send from a servlet a mail for this adress myadress_at_domain.com.
> How can i use mail ressources to connect to an smtp server of course with
> authentification.
> Thanks for yor help.

The JavaMail download package at http://java.sun.com/products/javamail
has instructions and sample programs. And there's information in the
JavaMail FAQ.

Under GlassFish, the mail Session can be provided as a resource.
You'll probably need to configure the Session with additional properties
described in the JavaMail documentation. (Although a vaguely remember
there being a bug with the use of additional mail session properties
in GlassFish, but I don't remember which version and whether it's fixed
in the latest version.)

Given the configured mail session, you can use it to get a Transport
object, on which you can call the connect method, supplying the needed
username and password to authenticate to your server.