dev@glassfish.java.net

Can I use a RAR for things other than JMS

From: Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 05:58:06 +0000

We have a number of resources that need to be, essentially, server
singletons shared across all applications on the server instance.

These singletons manage access to an off-server resource via a TCP &
UDP messaging stack and then map those messages into an object model
with the observer event model.

I don't want to have each enterprise app forking a new TCP & UDP set
of channels with event parsers building the object model and
propagating events as this will generate extra load on the far end
(which has limited resources)

To my mind the RAR fits exactly what I want, but mostly I just see
things that can be mapped to JMS.

How will this look to deployers, how will they configure the JNDI
lookups? Will those using our API be able to just use resource
injection to get our singleton...

@Resource
private com.mycompany.MyStackConnectionProxyFactory myStack;

How will they package their applications? If they include the rar will
that result in two connections again (which they get with the current
jar approach that we use), or will the container see that it's the
same rar as already deployed and expose that rar's classloader through
some fancy rar magic.

I've more questions, but I think they can wait for now!

-Stephen