dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Changes to VM tuning.

From: Scott Oaks <Scott.Oaks_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 09:43:01 -0400

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 04:54, Binod wrote:
> Alexis Moussine-Pouchkine wrote:
> > So 2GB/2-core laptops will use the -server option, correct?
> I checked with Scott. He told me that it is considered client-class and
> so, it will be using -client option.

Just to clarify further: it depends on the OS. WIndows OS is always
considered client-class. But if you're running a real OS (oops) on your
laptop, then this would be server-class.

> > Do we know what the typical startup different time is between
> > -client and -server?
> Dont know exactly. But changing it to -server make a huge difference
> to runtime performance.

It depends on the speed of the chips, of course (and unfortunately,
we're not very well threaded at startup because of the classloader and
other issues, so the extra core doesn't help). But it's maybe 5-8
seconds on current hardware.

-Scott