dev@glassfish.java.net

Is IRC participation possible?

From: Jason Lee <lee_at_iecokc.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 10:58:59 -0600

A little random, but: :P

For what it's worth, I'm an operator on the Glassfish IRC channel
(#glassfish) on irc.freenode.net (the same network, by the way, where
the quasi-official JSF channel is). I idle in #glassfish pretty much
all the time. One of the most common complaints is the lack of any real
traffic/discussion in the channel. I know it's not really an official
support... medium for Glassfish, but what are the chances of some
Glassfish devs trying to spend some time there? In ##jsf, Ed Burns,
Ryan Lubke, Roger Kitain, and (occasionally) Jennifer Ball are often
there answering questions, and the response to that has been really,
really good. Users regularly express their appreciation for having
pretty direct and "real time" access to the JSF RI devs. To contrast
that, just this morning, a user in #glassfish said, "Yes, this channel
is similar to that of an almost dead project, although it is a big
successful project." which is not good. My hope is that someone who
knows things better than I and one or two other regulars could be... a
regular there and help things along.

I realize that may not be possible for a host of technical and/or
political reasons. I know the devs are busy trying to get v2 out the
door, and I (and my company) really, REALLY appreciate all that work. I
just thought I'd relay some of the user sentiment I've seen in the
channel.

Thanks for "listening" to me ramble. :)

-----
Jason Lee, SCJP