dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Is IRC participation possible?

From: Ed Burns <ed.burns_at_sun.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 12:42:39 -0800

JD> I dunno - most folks are behind the Sun firewall - which means setting
JD> up Socks proxies, which is kind of a pain. But that's a pretty good
JD> idea, I'll see if I can encourage some folks to hang out there.

Doch, it is not a pain at all. On SWAN or UNIX systems, you can use
Xchat. It has options for setting up proxies and all you have to do is
specify webcache.*.sun.com:8080. Witness this blog post [1]

B> The socks proxies are set up, but yes, you have to configure programs
B> to use them.

B> In SCA we have direct connectivity to the internet, so unless our firewall
B> is explicitly blocking the IRC port, you shouldn't need a proxy at all.

I haven't found that to be the case, but, as I said above, I regularly
use XChat from my SunRay.

In fact, detailed instructions on connecting to ##jsf (and thus to
#glassfish) are at [2].

Ed

[1] http://weblogs.java.net/blog/edburns/archive/2007/01/jsf_irc_channel.html
[2] http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Projects/JavaServerFacesSpecFaq#ChatRoom