dev@glassfish.java.net

What are unused ExpressionOperators good for?

From: Markus KARG <markus.karg_at_gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 12:21:34 +0100

As I was implementing SQLAnywhere platform I have seen that
ExpressionOperator provides several factory methods like "reverse()".
"reverse()" in fact is not instantiated inside of
"DatabasePlatform.initializePlatformOperators()", but only from
"SQLServer.initializePlatformOperators()" and
"SybasePlatform.initializePlatformOperators()". So I am wondering how
this mechanism works. Is this an optional operator that I CAN implement
(while not beeing forced to)? What is the correct "implementation
politics" for a platform? Actually SQLAnywhere has a REVERSE function,
so I could implement it easily. On the other hand, what is the benefit
of implementing it (the tests do not complain about me not having
implemented it)?

Can you please explain this?

Thanks a lot
Markus