dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Heads-up: Changes to the "version" for application server ...

From: kedar <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:00:24 -0800

Hi Steve,

Thank you for bringing in the support perspective.
Yes, we will fix the asadmin version command to *always*
include the build id in the printed string. This, however
is not directly related to what's being proposed in this
e-mail thread. (On the output of version command itself, I can
tell you that it needs a lot of improvement -- e.g. where
is the information that tells us what Java EE spec version
a given app server is running? -- I don't find it anywhere).

The point I am not able to understand is how "asadmin version"
having an "Edition" information alone is useful for support
personnel to investigate a customer problem. It seems that it is
almost imperative that you'd need domain.xml/logs in order to ascertain
what's going wrong at a customer site. The most important
information in the version string is the build-id, followed by
the actual product version number, isn't it?

The usage profile information is more of a fluid property of the domain. It
is a way to preconfigure a domain so that administrator does not
have to do a series of steps to change the capabilities of the domain.
Once created, a domain's runtime itself does not know about what its
usage profile is.

One of the things that I did not want to happen is to go from a
2-edition-product
to a 3-profile product. In the future, the profile support can be
generalized
so that a customer can configure how the domain gets created.

Is it still too confusing? Moreover, is it confusing because of the decision
(No Platform/Enterprise Edition in version string)? We must be careful
here, because
otherwise we might be attributing some unrelated (although important) issues
to this change.

Please let me know.

Kedar