dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: User Experience: CLI

From: Jim Jiang <jim.jiang_at_sun.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 17:20:14 +0800

Thanks Jane,

I am glad to know that so many exciting features will be added for cli.
The help command improvement is necessary, because there near 200
command names, it is hard for user to remember.
Here, I suggest another improvement to address this.
Current commands' name basically following the rule:
<action> + <object-name>(s)
The action includes: create, list, update ,delete, start, stop
The object name include: admin-object, javamail-resource, domain

Could we try to define or clarify some naming convention which followed
by all commands?
I would highlight this here, because that some exceptions between
command names:
for example:
. list-jmsdest & list-jndi-entrie*s *(different suffix)
. list-jndi-entries , show-jbi-binding-component &
display-error-distribution (different verbs)
. list , enable, export, get (no object to be acted on, confusing )

Best Regards,
Jim Jiang