dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: [Fwd: Re: Update Center UI Use Cases]

From: Satish Viswanatham <Satish.Viswanatham_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 15:28:46 -0800

Rochelle Raccah wrote:

> Here are my comments after a look at the API.
>
> Source (I only checked the api project):
> - Add a way to the project to build javadoc

done. Please use maven docs to generate javadoc. There are some
warnings. I will fix those today.

> - Why some abbrevs and some spelled out? (example: Config)

I thought I used them consistently. If I did not use them consistently
please point out. I will fix them.

> - What's the difference b/w a Container and a Catalog? I think
> Container = Product and Catalog = Update Center.

Container is the product on which a module can be deployed. There could
multiple Catalogs. For example there could be "Glass Fish catalog",
"GlassFish third party software catalog", "Glass Fish beta software
catalog" etc.

> - Return values of [] instead of List<>?

Yes, I used []s in the API. I do not see any Lists.

> - What are Container home and type? Should they really be strings?
> - InstalledModules, Updates, and AvailableModules should probably share
> a common super interface.

Now they do. Please check out the new interfaces.

> - InstallManager has an uninstall method, but I remember asking if we
> would support this and was told no. Is this just here for future use?
> Perhaps I misunderstood and we only don't allow uninstallation of an
> update (meaning revert to previous revision)?

Yes, you are right we currently do not want to support uninstall of
updates. Snjezana can clarify.

> - comments for InstallManager methods don't match their signatures
> (install vs. DownloadManager). Which is correct?

Fixed.

> - LogServiceConfig - some stuff here confuses me (example: getXXX
> methods which have void return types)

Wonders of copy and paste. Fixed now.

> - I would suggest LogServiceConfig methods not to have the logger names
> in their names and instead take an enum or a constant of the available
> loggers (would be more extensible).

Will fix this.

> - Module: why do all return string? Caps is funny (getModuleauthor vs.
> getModuleAuthor or just getAuthor). Perhaps this is not fleshed out yet?

Coming up with APIs in few days does that. I fixed. Please let me know
such things. I am happy to fix quickly. I will give a complete review
with Rajeshwar together.

> - Module: We will probably need to know whether one version is newer
> than the other. Do you anticipate using just the version number for
> that or also (instead?) the release date? Do we need to separate
> major/minor version numbers? Do we need methods to compare version
> numbers? Or perhaps one of the interfaces can tell us whether a module
> is up to date or has an update available?
> - Proxy: Do we plan to store (clear text) passwords?

No.

> - UpdatePreference: should use Calendar.MONDAY and other constants for
> day settings. Perhaps we could also use some date/time methods for the
> hours and minutes settings.

Good idea. Will do that.

> Quick Comparison with Use Case doc:
> - I assume update center = catalog?

One Update center can host multiple catalogs. Example of catalog is

http://www.netbeans.org/updates/dev_1.18_.xml

Another COULD be

http://www.netbeans.org/updates/thirdparty_1.18_.xml (does not exist,
given for example)
http://glassfish.dev.java.net/updates/dev_v2.xml (does not exist, given
for example)

> - How to configure collection of usage stats?

For now, this is going to be implemented.

> DTD (I only looked closely at the config one):
> - Why is nb compat one included, especially if it shouldn't be used?
> - Why days all string and some 3 chars, some more?

No preference here, If you think completely spelling out is better, we
can easily do that.

> - Why log levels configured here? Isn't there a standard Java SE way to
> config those?

Hmm. It is better to store all the config in one file. App Server
follows the same convention.

> - I saw some typos in the comments here and in the APIs - you should
> probably spell check

Will do. Damn, I should switch to NetBeans, instead of vim for this.

> - DTD allows comma separated list of update days, but how can that be
> stored using the API?

Good catch. Sorry I missed. Changed the API to reflect this.

thanks
Satish