dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: CLI Framework for JMX

From: kedar <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 18:14:13 -0700

Good question.
One thing we should all know is the admin-cli/cli-api submodule is a generic
JMX client that works independent of any implementation that uses it.
For example, it is possible that you can direct the cli-api to any
JMX compliant server and it will do its job perfectly all right.

BTW, cli-api is not actively maintained. Talk to Lloyd Chambers
(llc_at_dev.java.net)
for details.

admin-cli/commands is specifically geared towards GlassFish
administration commands.
The use of XML for declaring the command names obviously advantageous
because it
improves development time.

There are some inherent differences in the above two ways and they have
evolved
differently over time. admin-cli/framework is used by commands module
and provides
some general purpose command parsing, environment variable support etc.
in accordance
with the schema of the XML that you refer to. In short, it can very well be
used by any Java program to impart a *powerful* command line parsing
support.
Talk to Jane Young (janey_at_dev.java.net) about it.

Kedar