dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: User Experience: Profiles

From: Nazrul Islam <Nazrul.Islam_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 16:55:08 -0700

Kedar,

Thanks for attending the discussion about profiles. In the spirit of
promoting asynchronous discussions using email, I am going to ask some
questions that is probably in everyone's mind. I encourage everyone to
jump in and make this an interesting discussion. As the module lead,
Kedar is committed to track all of your inputs.

1. In what scenarios a developer or system administrator may find the
new profile feature useful? In other words, what is new and exciting
from profile in GlassFish v2?
2. Steve asked about doing things dynamically in the morning. We don't
plan to support that in v2. Follow on to that, what can a user configure
in the profile with a server re-start?
3. It seems we are not allowing user to move from "development" profile
to "cluster" or "enterprise". Why do we have the artificial limitation
when the bits are already available? For example, why is it not possible
to move from "cluster" to "enterprise" by coping the hadb bits to the
"lib" directory (and possibly change something in a conf file)?
4. It was mentioned that we are not able to do some of the features
because of time and resource. What can we expect to see in profile in
GlassFish v3?
5. Should profile name be part of the diagnostic report so that it is
clear for support organization (Tim asked this type of question) ? We
will need to update the product page in sun.com since we will have only
one version of the product. What are other known issues that we need to
keep track?

--
Nazrul Islam   -   (408) 276-6468   -   Sun Microsystems, Inc.