dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: HEADS-UP: default-web-module optimization

From: Jan Luehe <Jan.Luehe_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 18:42:03 -0700

Hi Ron,

Ron Monzillo wrote On 09/06/06 10:00,:

> Jan Luehe wrote:
>

>> I never said I've replaced the internal mapping from "/123" to "/". ;-)
>>
>> When you declare "123" as your default-web-module, the proposed
>> change has the
>> mapper map any requests that can't be mapped to any of the deployed
>> contexts to
>> "/123", but it does not "replace" anything.
>>
>> You can't just switch back and forth between "/" and "/123", which
>> you would do
>> if you replaced "/123" with "/".
>>
>> Some internals (such as the per-context jacc policies) rely on the
>> context path
>> that was used (and visible) during deployment. They expect a context
>> path to
>> remain in effect until they've received a corresponding undeploy
>> event for that
>> context path.
>>
> AYK, jacc doesn't say anything about default web apps, but when a
> policy decision is performed, we need to identify the
> application/policy context in which the decision is to be being
> performed. when someone accesses a default web module by way of an
> unmapped context root, then I would prefer that the application
> context be that of the default web module (i.e. /) - and that a
> default policy be applied, and that the default policy be defined as
> part of defining the app as the default web app; but I think you are
> pointing out that the policy of the default app is stored such that it
> can only be found based on its app specific context identifer.

Right, for the particular case where a webapp (deployed at "/123")
has been promoted to a default webapp by virtue of being referenced
by the virtual server's default-web-module attribute. In this case, the
policy
decisions to be performed on requests for "/" and "/123" should be
identical.

> would it be possible to explicitly deploy an app as the default,
> without changing its status after the fact.

Yes, you can do that, by deploying the webapp to "".

Jan