dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish jars to maven repository

From: Wayne Fay <waynefay_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 11:45:38 -0500

More unsolicited opinions from a non-Sun guy...

I'm happy to help with Maven (esp M2) efforts if you decide to go in
that direction. I've actually already written some M2 pom.xml files
for transaction-api and persistence-api, and contributed a b32g build
of the glassfish-persistence-api module to the Maven2 ibiblio
repository. If you're using Maven2, you can start using this
dependency in your own projects by including:

<dependency>
    <groupId>net.java.dev.glassfish</groupId>
    <artifactId>glassfish-persistence-api</artifactId>
    <version>b32g</version>
</dependency>

Both sources and binaries were uploaded, as you can see here
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/net/java/dev/glassfish/glassfish-persistence-api/b32g/.
I also created a transaction-api module but something went wrong
during the construction of the jar and so its not currently usable.
When I find a few free moments, I'll have to fix and upload a proper
build. It would be ideal however if the Glassfish project would "take
over" the creation and management of these poms, as you are in a
better place to manage dependencies and builds etc than I am.

I've been a semi-active user of M1 and very active user of M2 for some
time now. I personally agree with Ed that "the world is a better
place" when projects are built using Maven2, standardized directory
layouts and consistent build structures are a joy coming from
Ant-hell. I'm not saying Ant is a bad system, I just find that every
project is using Ant in some custom manner, and files are haphazardly
thrown here and there, and dependencies are either unclear or
incomplete, etc.

Not sure if you're moving TOWARDS Maven and away from Ant or vice
versa or neither... But once you get that decided, let the rest of the
world know and you'll probably get some help you might not have been
expecting. ;-)

Wayne