dev@glassfish.java.net

lots of comments in issue tracker

From: Carla Mott <Carla.Mott_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:52:46 -0800

Not sure how many people subscribe to the issues_at_glassfish.dev.java.net
but there is alot of information in the comments fields of bugs which
doesn't make itself back to the dev aliases. I know that alot of
GlassFish developers use the comments fields in bugs for discussions
on the bug or implementation of the technology. And I wanted to let
others know that the bugs have alot of info.

I have extracted one such post that I thought showed just this. If
you are not subscribed to the issues_at_glassfish.dev.java.net alias
you may wish to.

Carla

 From Issue 108:

------- Additional comments from tjquinn_at_dev.java.net Fri Dec 16
04:42:09 +0000 2005 -------
We made a conscious decision to have app clients launched via Java Web
Start act
as much as possible like other JWS-lauched applications. In particular,
we rely
on the Java Web Start mechanisms for handling output to System.out and
System.err. you can use the Java Control Panel to enable JWS tracing
which will
capture the System.out and .err text to a trace file. One way to start
the Java
Control Panel is to enter the javaws command (with no arguments) in a
command or
terminal window. You'll see the Java Application Cache viewer. Choose
Edit->Preferences to open the Java Control Panel and then choose the
tab. Open the Debugging category and turn on Enable tracing. Any Java Web
Start app launched after that (including app clients) will create a
trace file.

Please visit
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/deployment/deployment-guide/tracing_logging.html
which explains where the trace files normally reside and talks about
many other
ways you can control how Java Web Start behaves.

Having said that, clearly there is some number of app clients that have been
written as command-line utilities which expect keyboard input and
produce output
to System.out. We have considered adding a feature so app clients
launched via
Java Web Start would redirect their output to a simulated command window and
accept keyboard input from there. We did not have time to do that work
for this
initial release of Java Web Start support. It would be useful to know
what kind
of interest there would be for such an addition.

Other app clients, though, are written as rich GUI applications and will fit
nicely with the Java Web Start approach. We encourage developers to
build such
rich GUI clients for their end users.

--
Carla Mott