dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: a few more email aliases

From: Marina Vatkina <Marina.Vatkina_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:47:19 -0700

Jim Driscoll wrote:

> Marina Vatkina wrote:
>
> > The other arguments that I had were that a) it's difficult to switch
> > from one alias to another, and if will be a mess if we start using
> > dev extensively, and than try to switch; and 2) searching through
> > archived mail is much faster on 1 alias rather than 2 (in particluar
> > if the second one starts getting its share of traffic), and you don't
> > need to remember a year from now that two aliases had been used
> > for some time.
>
> I find the argument that changing the alias will make using archives
> difficult to be pretty a compelling one.
>
> I'm still worried about dev having too little traffic, though. (Notice
> how we're having the discussion here? :-)
>
> Are you ready to promise that there'll be more than 10 emails a day on
> the new alias, pretty much every day? I think that's a comfortable
> bottom for what I'd consider an "active" list... It sounds like you're
> expecting more than that. If you're really sure that's how many we'll
> get, I'd be happy to withdraw any objection.

On avarage. But even in that case it might be too much. Think about it -
if we'll have 3 emails sent to the dev alias from *each* module, it'll be
a substantial amount of emails to delete :)

So if each module owner makes sure (I *am* trying hard to move all private
discussions to the new alias) that any discussion that refers to the code in
GlassFish takes place in the public alias, you'll achieve 2 things at once:
1) people will get used to use these aliases, and
b) you'll realize very quickly that dev@ alias should be kept for global
discussions only, and it might not be as bad as you'd think that there is
no extra trafic on it :)

thanks,
-marina