admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: GF 2 start-instance accepts authentication; GF 3 start-local-instance does not

From: Joe Di Pol <joe.dipol_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 14:33:02 -0700

Bill Shannon wrote:
> Tim Quinn wrote on 07/08/2010 05:11 AM:
>> What I think is that whatever command saves authentication information
>> locally so start-local-instance can work without end-user auth. should
>> itself require end-user auth. In your description, that's
>> create-local-instance. I was not clear whether this would happen
>> during create-local-instance or start-local-instance.
>
> In general, I think we want create-local-instance to contact the DAS
> and verify the authentication and set everything up. I don't remember
> whether we also intended to support doing create-local-instance "offline",
> assuming a create-instance would be done separately and then everything
> would be set up by the time the instance was started. Maybe that's not
> an important use case.

Today create-instance calls _register_instance to create the instance
in domain.xml and the local command _create-instance-filesystem on the
instance system (via SSH if remote) to initialize the files for the instance.
So in that sense _create-instance-filesystem is "offline" and requires
no admin authentication.

Currently there is no way for create-instance to perform admin authentication
to any local command it executes on the instance system because the DAS
does not have access to the admin password in the clear.

I suppose if the keys were available at create-instance time then maybe
it could handle installing those keys on the instance. This would require
the master password for the instance, right? Does the DAS have that available
in the clear?

Joe