admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: sequence of commands with no SSH

From: Lidia Marchioni <lidia.marchioni_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:08:59 -0700

Joe Di Pol wrote:

> Lidai,
>
> Support for what you tried is not in B13. It went in on Tuesday.
>
> If you want to create an instance local to the DAS then you
> can use scenario 2. Just do:
>
> asadmin create-instance --node localhost i1
The above only works when using localhost for node. If I want to use
any other node name, then the above fails with:

asadmin --host asqe-xeon-1 --port 4849 create-instance --node asqe-xeon-1 sa_server1
remote failure: There is no node named asqe-xeon-1 in this domain.

and that's fine, since DAS wouldn't know where to create the node. The
create-local-instance command though, creates the node as expected -
thanks for pointing this out.

I have tried various sequences of commands, using machine name for node,
but so far nothing worked (details of scenarios below) - instance is
never started properly. It seems to always fail due to the following
error (from instance's server.log):

[#|2010-07-30T15:40:16.864-0700|SEVERE|oracle-glassfish3.1|null|_ThreadID=15;_ThreadName=Thread-1;|Apache Felix Remote Shell [147] Listener.Acceptor::activate()|#]

[#|2010-07-30T15:40:16.864-0700|SEVERE|oracle-glassfish3.1|null|_ThreadID=15;_ThreadName=Thread-1;|java.net.BindException: Address already in use|#]

[#|2010-07-30T15:40:16.864-0700|SEVERE|oracle-glassfish3.1|null|_ThreadID=15;_ThreadName=Thread-1;| at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)|#]

[#|2010-07-30T15:40:16.864-0700|SEVERE|oracle-glassfish3.1|null|_ThreadID=15;_ThreadName=Thread-1;| at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:365)|#]

[#|2010-07-30T15:40:16.864-0700|SEVERE|oracle-glassfish3.1|null|_ThreadID=15;_ThreadName=Thread-1;| at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:319)|#]

[#|2010-07-30T15:40:16.864-0700|SEVERE|oracle-glassfish3.1|null|_ThreadID=15;_ThreadName=Thread-1;| at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:185)|#]

[#|2010-07-30T15:40:16.864-0700|SEVERE|oracle-glassfish3.1|null|_ThreadID=15;_ThreadName=Thread-1;| at org.apache.felix.shell.remote.Listener$Acceptor.run(Listener.java:131)|#]

[#|2010-07-30T15:40:16.864-0700|SEVERE|oracle-glassfish3.1|null|_ThreadID=15;_ThreadName=Thread-1;| at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)|#]

Is this a known issue? Any workaround?

Here are the scenarios I tried, please let me know if any are invalid,
so I don't try them any more:

1.
asadmin create-node-config
asadmin create-local-instance
asadmin start-instance
asadmin deploy
Application deployed successfully with name webapps-caching.
WARNING : Instance sa_server1 seems to be offline; Command was not
replicated to that instance

Instance did not start despite success message (logged a bug on this
already).

2.
asadmin create-node-config
asadmin create-instance
asadmin start-instance
asadmin deploy
Failed with:
Application deployed successfully with name webapps-caching.
WARNING : Instance sa_server1 seems to be offline; Command was not
replicated to that instance

The instance was not started despite success message.

3.
asadmin create-node-config
asadmin create-instance
asadmin start-local-instance
Failed with:
CLI810 Synchronization with DAS failed and no local domain.xml,
can't start instance.
Command start-local-instance failed.

4.
asadmin create-node-config
asadmin create-local-instance
asadmin start-local-instance
asadmin deploy
Fails with:

Application deployed successfully with name webapps-caching.
[2010-07-30T07:31:16.64] WARNING : Command _deploy did not complete successfully on server instance sa_server1 : Authentication failed for user: admin (Usually, this means invalid user name and/or password)

In this case instance did not start properly again (exception as noted
in the beginning of this email), hence the warning message above is
incorrect. Will log a bug on this.

Thanks
Lidia