admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: Admin istener for instances

From: Byron Nevins <byron.nevins_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 12:21:14 -0700

On 5/6/2010 3:28 AM, Jennifer Chou wrote:

On 5/5/2010 11:46 PM, Vijay Ramachandran wrote:
For command replication in 3.1, we are planning to use the same CLI-DAS communication mechanism for communicating between DAS-Instance(s) also. For CLI-DAS communication, we have an admin adapter listening on admin port (4848 by default) through which commands from CLI come into the DAS for execution. For us to be able to use the same mechanism for DAS-Instance communication, we will need the same admin adapter listening in an admin port for each of the instances also.

Looks like in 2.X, there was no "admin listener" running on an admin port. So, for 3.X, this has to be a new requirement which will require new entry in domain.xml. When I looked at domain.xml to see which will be the best place this information can be present, couple of other things also caught my attention. I am probably missing/misunderstanding something here. So here are a bunch of questions. Attached here is a sample domain.xml which has a cluster with two instances.

1. In the domain.xml, the instances and cluster are pointing to the same config element, and hence, to the same listeners - does this mean that we are not going to support multiple instances on the same node ? I am missing something here - can someone please enlighten me ?

This was handled in V2 by setting the port number to a variable and then having the <server> element of each instance set the variable to a different port number.
2. Any objections if we add an additional network listener element to the default-config for admin listener ?
Ok by me since command replication needs admin listener on the instance.  I see this is also described in the design spec
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=V3.1Clustering#section-V3.1Clustering-CommandReplication

Jennifer

Vijay