admin@glassfish.java.net

create-node cli command

From: Carla Mott <carla.mott_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 11:12:27 -0700

I meant to include the asadmin alias on this email...

Hi,

Something that I noticed which is a little unexpected. Below are
examples of running the command.

1) If I specify a host then that host needs to be reachable and it seems
that gf needs to be running on that machine. Is that right? At some
point when we try to create an instance on a remote machine we will want
to see if the host is reachable using SSH so not sure what checks are
being done here or what it is trying to tell me. But as far as I know
it is not a requirement for the remote to be available when the config
info is added to the DAS. Also I tried to pass 'localhost' or the
actual name of the host and in the case of localhost the host arg didn't
appear in the domain.xml entry and in the case of the machine name got
an error. We think that a valid use case is a node is running on the
DAS (where the command is being executed) but not sure how to specify
the host in that case. I want nodex to be on machinex and I'm executing
the create-node command on machinex what is the host name that I pass?

2) I need to also have a create-node-ssh which does what create-node
currently plus adds more elements. I was hoping I could have 2 Create
annotations with different names (create-node and create-node-ssh) in
the same server bean but that fails. How can I implement this? See an
example of the domain.xml entries
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=3.1SSHProvisioningConfig

Examples:

This is a remote machine which is not running GF

dhcp-usca14-133-171:bin cmott$ asadmin create-node
--host=grappa.sfbay.sun.com node4
Remote server does not listen for requests on [grappa.sfbay.sun.com:4848].
Is the server up?
Unable to get remote commands.
Closest matching local command(s):
   create-node-agent
Command create-node failed.

If I don't specify the host all is fine.

dhcp-usca14-133-171:bin cmott$ asadmin create-node
--glassfish-home=~/gf-v3/glassfishv3/glassfish/ node4

Command create-node executed successfully.
dhcp-usca14-133-171:bin cmott$

attached mail follows:

Hi,

I was able to get the basics of the create-node command to work. I
needed to do a clean in that module and then build because I did make a
mistake when specifying the params and that seemed to still be an issue
until I did a clean.

Anyway something that I noticed which is a little unexpected. Below are
examples of running the command.

1) If I specify a host then that host needs to be reachable and it seems
that gf needs to be running on that machine. Is that right? At some
point when we try to create an instance on a remote machine we will want
to see if the host is reachable using SSH so not sure what checks are
being done or what it is trying to tell me. But as far as I know it is
not a requirement for the remote to be available when the config info is
added to the DAS. Also I tried to pass 'localhost' or the actual name
of the host and in the case of localhost the host arg didn't appear and
in the case of the current machine name got an error. We think that a
valid use case is a node is running on the DAS but not sure how to
specify that so it is clear. so I want nodex to be on machinex and I'm
executing the create-node command on machinex

2) I want to have create-node-config which does exactly what the command
I currently called create-node does and that command will be used to
setup an offline config where we expect that at some point later the
user runs create-instance on a remote host and a handshake occurs. I
think this is all works fine as long as I don't specify a host, right?

3) I need to also have a create-node-ssh which does what create-node
currently plus adds more elements. I was hoping I could have 2 Create
annotations with different names (create-node-config and