admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: SSH Provisioning CLI and domain.xml review

From: Tom Mueller <tom.mueller_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 10:12:28 -0500

Joe,

Please see inline for some initial thoughts. We can discuss this more
this afternoon.

On 5/17/2010 7:57 PM, Joe Di Pol wrote:

> I have two items for the admin meeting agenda for tomorrow (Tues 5/18)
> if there is room:
>
> 1) CLI for SSH Provisioning
>
> See section 7.0 "CLI" (especially the *-node operations) and
> section 9.0 "CLI Compatibility with v2":
>
> http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=3.1SSHProvisioningDesign
>
> Note that this spec has some info that overlaps with the Basic
> Clustering spec (which is where it belongs) and I'll reconcile
> that at some point.

1. In the cluster design spec, all of the command synopsis leave off the
standard options that are available for all remote commands (--host
--port, --help, --terse, etc.) Do you want to do the same for this when
you merge this into the cluster design spec.

2. Would the create-node command create the node-agent file system
structure and the das.properties file on the node?

3. What is the default behavior of list-nodes if the --target option is
not specified. Is it --target domain? If so, can't we just omit that
option and provide that behavior by not specifying --target?

4. Do instance names need to be unique within a domain? If not, then
delete-instance, start-instance, and stop-instance would have to specify
a cluster and/or a node (or whatever is required to establish the
namespace for the instance). If yes, we should state that.

5. BTW, I came across a issue 4372 yesterday that requests a lightweight
provisioning system. You might want to reference this issue at the top
of section 7 where you talk about installing the GlassFish software in
the future.

> 2) Config changes for SSH Provisioning
>
> http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=3.1SSHProvisioningConfig
>
> These are the changes needed to support SSH nodes in 3.1
Are there pros/cons WRT the two options here?

Thanks.
Tom