admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: rsync algorithm

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_sun.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:58:56 -0800

Dies Koper wrote on 03/10/10 01:26 PM:
> All of ours are. We don't use clusters that span machines (yet), and we
> don't (or hardly) use the DAS to run applications on.
> So all production as well as tests run on a cluster with its one or
> multiple instances on the same machine.

Why are you running multiple instances on a single machine?
Is it because the JVM doesn't scale well? Or does GlassFish
itself not scale well enough to handle all the load in a single
instance? Or perhaps you want to be able to survive the crash
of a server process? (Does that happen often?)

Are you running a load balancer on the same machine or on a separate machine?

> I'm planning to confirm what issues could arise on GFv2.x (because I
> don't think there are any) with having the instances point to the DAS's
> application folder directly instead of each having its own copy. If we
> can do that in GFv3.1 by default, that should reduce sychronization time
> during deployment and start-up for this case. And required disk space.

I think applications might work. We should support applications that
are "directory deployed" in a shared filesystem, and this would be similar.

Anything in the config directory would only work by luck, not by design.